I need to write more often, Ive had one of those crazy-busy weeks where I cant even remember as far back as Monday... time seems to be moving so fast...
Talkeetna last weekend was wonderful... such a small, tightly knit town. Lots of friendly locals to talk to and the most quaint little businesses. The General Store (the only store in town really) carried everything from fur to highlighters to Alaskan-made tea and soap. It also had a deli and bar in the back, an espresso machine, liquor store and some fantastic antiques. I stayed in a cabin with a loft overlooking the Susitna river, although I spent the majority of day one at the local pub, and day two at a bakery/bed&breakfast, once again playing scrabble by the fire and talking to the owner. She told of the Iditarod, the town pot-lucks and being a 'chairman' on the town board, along with pretty much everyone else who owned a business there... how they agree to be open certain hours so the other businesses can survive. Its a small enough place that they have to share their economical contributions to keep the place thriving. I tried to visit the cemetery but was deterred after falling into the waist-high snow covering the ground. Im hoping to make it to a few more little local Alaskan towns before heading off to Afghanistan. They are so charming, and I am definitely falling for this state!
The work week was so busy, and Im not even sure why. We are just trying to get prepared, and time is flying by!! 18 more days... crazy! I guess we'll be spending about three weeks in Kuwait first, which I am excited about... but Im also just ready to get to Afghanistan, set up my work space, and start working!
For some reason, as the deployment gets closer, this whole Army thing is seeming more and more surreal... and then I have random encounters this week like a guy in the grocery store walking up to me and asking if Im in the Army... I look down at my Army uniform that clearly marks me as a Soldier... and wonder if its all in my imagination. Ha. Another man, after seeing my Airborne wings, tries to inform me that there isnt an Airborne unit in Alaska... I beg to differ, obviously. Strangeness.
I went to a wine/hors devours party last night and hung out with a whole bunch of civilians from Anchorage. I enjoy my Army friends, but it was nice to have a night out with 'normal' people, and not talk about work or the deployment or when the ISOprep photos will be posted to the shared-drive. We played twister. We also went out dancing afterward, which I havent really done since I was in Houston in 2007. It was nice to be with a giggling group of girls for once... I spend so much of my life now surrounded by men, I almost forgot what it was like. I talked with a commercial fisherman for a while... very intriguing. He only works in the summer and makes enough that he doesnt work all winter. Ah, life in Alaska...
I went to Starbucks this evening with Spc Steve's wife... guess I have to give her a blogging name by now... lets call her Anie. Its very interesting listening to the opposite side of the deployment scenario. I really think the spouses that stay behind are stronger than the Soldiers that leave. I cant imagine. She isnt like any of my friends Ive had before, so it surprises me every time I talk to her how much I like her. Again, my favorite thing about the Army, brings us into relationships with the most unlikely people.
Two of my favorite people in the whole world are coming up from Houston to visit me this week!! YAY, cant wait!! I have to go to the range and I have a jump, a ceremony for the Gen, and some other random stuff, so unfortunately the week is looking extremely busy... but Im excited to see them even if I wont get to hang out much.
Jayvn has been selling hot chocolate at the gym, said he made $40 in a week and from what I hear, is quite the little salesman... must be the blue eyes ;) Good to hear that he has an entrepreneurial side! He also said that he likes school, 'but mama, they make me take the longest nap ever.' Mysteri is also enjoying school and gymnastics. I ordered her some little GK leotards (yes, Im living vicariously through her) and thus begins the leo-addiction. Yay! They've been gone for a month already, I feel like they just left.
Time is funny. Why is it moving so fast right now?? And why am I sure that its going to creep as soon as I get on that plane?! Sigh.
A Checklist For Home Buyers
14 years ago









1 comment:
Poor Jay...evil naps!
Post a Comment