17 January 2009

Back to work

Well we are all off of leave and into the full swing of things... I probably took 4000 photos this week... insanely busy!!!
Monday and Tuesday I spent doing death and captured photos for the Cavalry guys. A bit morbid, but they have enough one-liner jokes to keep the atmosphere light. Both days were filled with me positioning and re-positioning everyone from the privates to the LTC, squaring away uniforms, and enduring endless comments worthy of EO complaints if I was 'that girl.' Good thing I have a sense of humor...
Wednesday brought on a rise in temperature, and not only did we see positive temps, but all the way above freezing! YAY!! I always think Im whining about the cold, but apparently I have acclimated sufficiently because 33 degrees now feels like 't-shirt weather.' The only problem is, it rained. But because it was only one degree above freezing, the rain simply turned everything on the ground to ice. I literally have been driving 20 miles an hour everywhere, sliding through red lights and wondering why my car winds up sideways on the road once a day. Its impossible to walk from the car to the front door of any building, as we are all sliding around on a perpetual ice-skating rink. They actually shut down the post Weds morning because the roads were so bad... which made for a nice half-day of work (which meant I got to sleep in!)
Thursday morning the gym was still closed (no PT!) and after a round of 4 phone calls at 530 in the morning, and a trip down the road to drop off an ID, I had just collapsed back into my bed thankful for the extra few hours of sleep I was going to get, when the fire alarm in my building went off. Fan-freaking-tastic. So I found myself standing outside on a sheet of ice in the almost-freezing drizzle for an hour. And...go figure... it was a false alarm. By the time I got back in, it was time to endure the anxiety-laden drive/slide into work. First thing upon arrival, I open the bag of snickers for my candy-basket on my desk, and I pulled too hard... causing the bite-sized morsels to scatter confetti-style throughout my office. Ahhh, I love mornings that just scream "today is going to suck" at you... at least you have fair warning from the get-go! I showed up at the wrong building for the volunteer of the month ceremony, causing me to be late to the building where it was actually being held, and found myself trying to run/shuffle/skid across the ice as the Rear-D 1st Sgt stood in the doorway 'encouraging' me to hurry up. Ha. Once again, I spend an hour standing in the middle of a rank-filled room taking photos while everyone watches/analyzes. Gen L was perched inches away from me and the click-click of my shutter echoed through the deathly silent room... sigh. Then it was on to the memorial for a PFC that died over break. I really hate those, something about photographing people in the midst of their mourning is unnerving and wrong. Unfortunately it was easier for me this time than the first, and by the end... was almost feeling mundane. I dont know whats worse, the memorial, or the fact that I didnt feel the need to cry this time. I went to Sgt K's for the night to unwind, where Sgt K's wife and I endured a slaughtering in spades. But the guys made up for it the following afternoon with an enormous steak grilled to perfection. Yum!
Friday produced the PFAR Ball (The Cav says Im cheating on them, and they are not happy...) I was of course on duty, so didnt get to partake in the drinking festivities... but was quite entertained to see all the up-tight Paratroopers loosening up in their dress blues, their beautiful wives in ball gowns cheering them on. Among other things, the Army certainly knows how to throw a party! My favorite was the punch ceremony... which will take entirely too long to explain, so google it if you havent had the opportunity to experience one! The PFAR LTC thanked the PAO shop at the end, going on and on about Spc Steve's video (I was so proud!!!) and thanked me for the photos in front of the whole crowd, causing the usual awkward me standing there smiling sheepishly wondering how I can disappear. I appreciate the acknowledgement, but I just dont do well with large groups of intimidating people staring...
I ran down to Girdwood (Alyeska) today, which is an hour of an enchantingly beautiful drive along the Turnagain Arm. Spent some time in a quaint little book/coffee shop playing scrabble and then had some amazing chicken pizza and beer in one of the little cabin-esque restaurants thats been in this middle-of-nowhere town for 50 years.
Ive been trying to enjoy Alaska, as our deployment is no longer looming in the future, but has progressed to a day-count instead of months or weeks. I think Im making peace with this state, now that Im leaving... go figure. Im heading inland to Talkeetna tomorrow to go hiking and oogle at Mt McKinley up close and personal.

1 comment:

Skubaliscious said...

What does "doing death" mean??

I do envy you the weekend excursions...but nothing else!