So I am about two weeks out from going home. With all the things I have to be scared of right now (jumping out of planes, moving across the country, going to war, etc. etc. etc.) somehow returning home is the most frightening of all.
I remember my battle buddy going through this, and remember all the things I said to her, but for whatever reason, I cant seem to take my own advise.
Like her, I guess Im worried that there isnt a place for me in that world anymore. I look at things so differently now. The Army along with it's lifestyle has engulfed my reality, and Im just not sure how to blend the old civilian me and the new Army me together. What if I go home and I dont know how to relate to my husband, I forgot how to touch him, how to be his wife. What if its been too long, or we find that there is no commonality? What if everything changed? Whats worse, what if my kids dont remember me, or they got so comfortable without me that they dont need me anymore? I love that my family has learned to survive without me there, but what happens when Im tossed back into the mix? Will I fit? Or maybe I wont know what to do with them. Being a mother, while I dont claim to be great at it, has been pretty instinctive for me. I figure women have been raising children for centuries and we are wired to know what to do. So why am I so scared that somewhere in the last 7 months, I forgot? Sometimes I talk to them on the phone and I cant believe that Im responsible for these little people, that they are depending on me. Im just a girl, trying to fit into all my roles as a wife and mother and soldier etc. and I keep looking around wondering how this happened, who am I kidding? I feel like Im playing at some pretend life, like Im still 6 with my barbie dolls prancing around in an imaginary world... and at the end of the day Ill pack everyone up in a box, go curl up in my little girl bed, and hang on to my stuffed polar bear. The one I used to wrap around my neck because I was afraid vampires would come get me. Yeah, and Im supposed to be a hero for my country, the supplement to my husband, and the comfort of my children. Oh God.
Then theres this deployment issue. What if I go back home, settle back in to my family and my life, and discover that I cant leave again. The first month that I was gone I was nauseous every time I thought about them. I learned to push it out of my mind and focus, I learned to move forward despite the hollowness. But what if I cant do it again? If nothing else, Ive learned that time is expensive, and missed time even more so. I have a horrible gut-wrenching struggle with whether or not this is abandonment. In a sense, it doesnt matter why I am gone, it doesnt matter how important whatever reason is... Im still not there for my children. And Im going to do it for a whole year. A year. When I come home my son will be in kindergarten. I will miss his first day of school. I will miss his 6th birthday and my daughter's 4th. Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Independance Day, the first lost tooth maybe, learning to read, tying shoes, school shopping, sports, play-dates, parties, swimming, food fights and fist fights and water-gun fights, temper tantrums and nightmares, and the cuddles that follow. All the smiles and all the tears for a whole year. I cant gather enough of those in the 5 short months I will get with them to last a year. And then there's the deep, unspoken question that everyone is afraid to talk about... what if I dont make it home at all after that year? Then this will be my last time to "go home" and Im so scared I will mess it up somehow. I want to make them all happy, I want to dote on them and love on them. But what if I cant remember how?
On top of all of that, Im terrified to go home because I cant say goodbye to some of the people there. I cant do it. How am I supposed to tell the people I cherish most that I may never see them again? How am I supposed to tell the people that I want in my daily life, that I want to see every day for the rest of my life, that we may have to settle on once a year or once every couple of years? I cant.
So give me parachutes and grenades, air raids and mortars, rucks and field exercises with no toilet paper and freezing hooches, military customs, terrorists, cordons, hand-to-hand combat, war.... I can handle that. Yet I dont know how to meet my family again, and I dont think I can say goodbye. Why did everyone prepare me for the ways of war and fail to teach the hardship of home?
Im sorry Sir, I havent been briefed on this yet...
A Checklist For Home Buyers
14 years ago









4 comments:
K so now I'm freaking Jer out because I'm bawling at the computer. I wish I had lots of easy answers for you. I know that I will love you no matter what - near or far. So many hard decisions.....
I miss you so much! I don't know when a good time to call you is. I want to talk so much. Please call me. Anytime is good. I miss each day of training, every 4 am wake-up, every AGR, and I especially miss standing in front of the formations with you, trying to get you to laugh and then having to lock it up when the sgts. came outside and biting my cheek raw to stop from cracking up. I miss peanut butter M&Ms, and our Saturday breakfasts. I miss each quote, each inside joke and each stolen text message after bedcheck. But mostly, I just miss my battle buddies, seeing you and Hansen each day and talking and laughing til our sides hurt. You are two of the truest friends I ever had, and life as I know it has changed because I've known you. I say all this because I know who you are and what you're made of. In three months I glimpsed an extraordinary woman who is capable of anything- and I do mean ANYTHING. Once you are home, trust me, sometimes it'll be like you never left. Like everything that's happened was a dream. I have to remind myself that it wasn't. That I met amazing people and did amazing things. It'll be different of course for you, 'cause the Army is your life now. But know that you have people who love you, in every corner of the country! I hear those Mid-Westerners kinda like you too!! I've rambled on a long time, and it was mostly just to say that I understand everything you're feeling, and I know that you're going to handle it with grace and love. Now f-ing call me!!!
I am not sure how to answer for you as a soldier but I can answer as the spouse of one. When he came home after months of not seeing him I was scared to death that nothing would ever be the same again and that some how we had drifted apart. Standing in the airport and seeing him for the first time I thought I was going to faint! But once he hugged me I knew it was all going to be ok. They say love can survive anything and it does.
Its sucks I know, but you are one of the strongest people I know, and I don't know many. And this aint nothing but a pothole in a long rode. This is not a fair situation, and the world will continue to mosey along with you apart of it or not. But, remember you cannot be superwoman. You just have to believe in the notion that you left very smart and very able people around to make sure your children know this is not in vain. Besides, you wanted to do this for them anyway if I'm not mistaking. And no, things wont be the same when you go back, it never will be because now you are different now. And while you were away handling this army thing, people remained stagnate, doing the same thing they were doing yesterday and the day before that. Its in your blood now, but that dont take you away from being a mom or a anything else...just dont expect everyone to understand. Again, you are too strong, this is just apart of the life you chose. Everything will be worth it in the end.
Post a Comment