Otherwise, Ive been enjoying being home. Its always a little strange transitioning from Army-life to home-life, but I think Im getting a little better at it. The kids are bouncing off the walls, as usual. I cooked a ham and a turkey with all the sides and hors devours for Thanksgiving, and I guess I got used to cooking for a bunch of people every year, and failed to realize that there was just 4 of us... waaaaayyy too much food!! At this point, Iwould pay someone to finish the leftovers... Im so sick of thanksgiving food! We built a snow fort/cave in our front yard.
I finally had to suck it up and buy their plane tickets back to KS, which Im trying not to think about. They all leave Christmas day.
I bought a guitar a few days ago. She is my new love, the camera is jealous... ;) My fingers are bruised, and Ive been staying up way too late playing, but I love it! Honestly, I dont know how I made it all the way to this point without learning...
I covered my first memorial service today. It was heart-wrenching. I held it together and did my job, and even kept it up at the office while people were around... but as soon as everyone cleared the room and Sgt shut the door, I had a minor meltdown for about a minute. The service was really disturbing in itself, but it was more the thought that I will be covering these for the next year repeatedly, and very likely for some of my friends. Sgt did 53 of them in Iraq. I dont know if I can do it, which scares me. And today was the first time I hated my job. Sticking a camera in the faces of mourning people, and listening to the click-click of my shutter as they pay tribute... well, it just feels intrusive and wrong. The whole thing threw me for a loop, and the final roll call has been ringing in my ears all day.
I'll try to post pictures/videos from NTC here in the next few days...









1 comment:
There weren't flights out on any other day???!!! Seriously, could you be more depressing!
Post a Comment